Tuesday 8 February 2011

Codes and conventions and opening sequences.

4th February 2011

Today in this lesson, we looked at a number of classic thriller opening sequences. Some of these were 'Vertigo', 'North by Northwest', 'Psycho', 'The Shining' ans 'Seven', these were shown to us so we could see the conventions of thriller and how some well known directors used them like Alfred Hitchcock. We then had some time to discuss what we thought were good typical thriller conventions.


Typical codes and conventions:



  • A narrative pattern that establishes enigmas in which the viewer expects to be resolved.


  • Quick pace with camera movements and sound.


  • Extraordinary events happening in an ordinary situation.


  • Titles often reflect pro/antagonist's psychological state.

Also we watched a opening sequence of our choice and annotated the location, props, mise en scene, plot, shots/editing and conventions used. Me and Rosie chose to annotate the opening sequence of the recent film 'The Black Swan'. Each of us in the class then travelled round the room reading eachothers annotations of thriller openings and then added to our own.

This lesson I feel that I learnt a lot more about what makes a movie into a thriller, some great thriller directors and also have some ideas of my own that I may like to use for my own thriller. Next lesson I shall choose a group in which I will create my thriller and begin to plan.




Alfred Hitchcock's opening title for 'Vertigo' (1958)






'Seven' opening credits



No comments:

Post a Comment